Ad Spot

Beaufort County Emergency Services reminds residents to ‘Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!’

From Beaufort County Emergency Services

 

Beaufort County Emergency Services is teaming up with the National Fire Protection Association — the official sponsor of Fire Prevention Week for more than 90 years — to promote this year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” The campaign works to educate everyone about simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves and those around them safe.

According to NFPA, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries in the United States. Almost half (44%) of reported home fires started in the kitchen. Two-thirds (66%) of home-cooking fires start with the ignition of food or other cooking materials.

“We know cooking fires can be prevented,” said Lorraine Carli, NFPA’s vice president of outreach and advocacy. “Staying in the kitchen, using a timer and avoiding distractions such as electronics or TV are steps everyone can take to keep families safe in their homes.”

Beaufort County Emergency Services encourages all residents to embrace the 2020 Fire Prevention Week theme.

“The most important step you should take before making a meal is to “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!” said Curtis Avery, fire marshal. “A cooking fire can grow quickly. I have seen many homes damaged and people injured by fires that could easily have been prevented.”

Beaufort County Emergency Services wants to share safety tips to keep you from having a cooking fire.

  • Never leave cooking food unattended. Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling or broiling. If you have to leave, even for a short time, turn off the stove.
  • If you are simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking and use a timer to remind you that you’re cooking.
  • You have to be alert when cooking. You won’t be alert if you are sleepy, have taken medicine or drugs, or consumed alcohol that makes you drowsy.
  • Always keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame. Turn off the burner, and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool.
  • Have a “kid-free zone” of at least three feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.

For more general information about Fire Prevention Week and cooking fire prevention, visit www.fpw.org.

 

Beaufort County

Concealed carry resolution on commissioners’ agenda

Beaufort County

County set to receive next allotment of vaccine doses

Beaufort County

Cooper vetoes bill that would force K-12 schools to reopen

Crime

Suspect at large following armed robbery

Crime

Two Hyde County men charged in false stolen truck insurance claim

Bath

Waterfront home provides beautiful views and plenty of space

Agriculture

Agriculture commissioner reflects on 2020

Beaufort County

State Highway Patrol Commander announces retirement

Beaufort County

New executive order a ‘game changer’ for local restaurants, bars

Beaufort County

Suddenlink donates headphones to Eastern Elementary School

Beaufort County

County Police Force Committee begins ‘daunting, complex’ task

Business

Cooper lifts curfew, eases gathering and occupancy limits

Beaufort County

County’s COVID-19 metrics improving

Beaufort County

Body found after house fire

Beaufort County

Washington woman indicted for murder

Pamlico Life

From Farmers’ Markets in the rain to Turnage Theatre right on Main

Beaufort County

Students will need to stick with either in-person or remote learning

Beaufort County

COVID-19: Beaufort County records 81st death, recoveries near 4,000 mark

Beaufort County

Washington police searching for 2 suspects in armed robbery

Beaufort County

Group 3 vaccination appointments will open Monday

Beaufort County

Renewal of P-EBT Program brings food assistance to NC families

Crime

Suspect still at large following assault

Agriculture

Recommendations of herbs for budding gardeners

Home & Real Estate

Restored historic home ready to welcome a new family